Looking for a quick plastic canvas project for St. Patrick’s Day? This plastic canvas shamrock pattern makes a fun magnet for your fridge. You could also make a bunch and glue them to ribbon for a cute garland. Alternatively, you could use them as embellishments in your other St. Patrick’s crafts. This little shamrock pattern is just adorable and works up super fast. Like in less than a half an hour!
I originally shared this shamrock magnet pattern over on my mom blog, A Heart Full of Love. When I went to post it here, I decided the pattern needed a slight adjustment. Googly eyes make everything instantly cuter, don’t ya know?
Materials Needed To Make This Plastic Canvas Shamrock Magnet:
- 7 Count Plastic Canvas (you only need a small scrap)
- #16 Plastic Canvas Needle
- Green Worsted Weight Yarn
- (2) 8 mm Googly Eyes
- 6 inches of Gold Metallic Cord
- Small Magnet
- Hot Glue Gun (After using the cheap Dollar Store glue guns for years, I finally splurged and got this heavy duty one from Aleene’s. I wish I would have gotten one earlier.)
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Plastic Canvas Hole/Rib Counter (optional)
Plastic Canvas Shamrock Pattern:
Cut 1 for each shamrock magnet you want to make.
Tip: use a dry erase marker to mark the pattern on your canvas. This helps you avoid making cutting errors. After you have cut your piece, the marks can be wiped away with a paper towel.
Instructions for Completing the Plastic Canvas Shamrock Pattern:
Stitch according to the above graph using green yarn then overcast the edges.
Use hot glue to attach the googly eyes to the shamrock. Cut a 6 inch length of gold cord and tie it around the shamrock stem. Tie into a bow then trim the ends.
If you are making your plastic canvas shamrock into a magnet, use hot glue to stick the magnet to the back. You can also make this into a shamrock pin by gluing a pin backing on the back.
That’s all there is to it! Isn’t the little guy just adorable?
In case you haven’t seen them I have a couple of my other free St. Patrick’s Day Plastic Canvas Patterns on other sites:
- Irish at Heart Tissue Box Cover Free Plastic Canvas Pattern
- Shamrock Wind Spinner Free Plastic Canvas Pattern
Hopefully all my patterns will eventually be moved over here so I can have them all in one place:)
If you use this plastic canvas shamrock pattern, be sure to come back and leave a comment to let me know what you made with it. So tell me… Are you making any plastic canvas St. Patrick’s Day decorations?